Social media site Digg launched way back in late 2004 and since that time, has endured a very up and down journey.
The cornerstone of the site was to allow uses to up/downvote web content posted on the site (digging/burying respectivly). It was an immediate success and as such, resulted in the creation of copycat sites such as Reddit.
In July 2008 Digg entered acquisition discussions with Google to the tune of $200million but talks broke down. Four years later Digg was eventually sold to Betaworks for the paltry sum of $500,000. The launch of the v4 version of Digg in 2010 was seen as the catalyst for the site’s downfall.
Kevin Rose, co-founder of Digg was asked what his biggest regret was:
“the regrets in my mind are things I could have changed but didn’t… There were certain things, product decisions that I made that were bad calls later in the company’s life. A lot of those calls were made for reasons that were not really true to the [Digg] community.”
Ask Kevin Rose anything
Now that ‘new Digg’ has been launched, co-founder Rose decided now would be the best time to address the many questions the public may have for him.
A great idea to build back some confidence with users. Just don’t do anything to annoy people like turning up late and using a rubbish excuse…
- Question: Are you going to answer any of these questions?
- Answer: Sorry for the delay, had a friends birthday last night.
- Question: Did you immediately regret posting an AMA? And are you currently closing your eyes hoping it will go away?
- Answer: Having built Digg, I have a pretty thick skin, this thread is pretty tame actually.
- Question: Can we expect another episode of Diggnation in the future?
- Answer: Good question, I’d love to do one, probably around SXSW or another conference — I’ll be in LA soon so I’ll talk to Alex about it.
- Question: When did you “really” start using Reddit?
- Answer: A few months after Digg launched I remember hearing about reddit launching, I went to check out the site and I can’t recall if I signed up or not… I think my first account was a couple years ago.
- Question: Why did you kill Diggnation? I really, really, really enjoyed that show. Was it just not as fun as it used to be?
- Answer: It was a great run, we needed a (liver) break after all those episodes. I’m sure Alex and I will do something again in the future.
- Question: Do you understand how AMAs work?
- Answer: I’m here now.
» More questions and answers can be found here
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/sites/p/pluggedin.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/magazeen/single.php on line 196